Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Night night Cam...wait, maybe not...

Okay, so how on earth are you suppost to get a hyper 1 year old to sleep and stay asleep? Cam has decided lately that sleeping is just not his thing. For months he has slept like a champ, nap every morning from 9-10:30ish, nap in the afternoon from 2-4, bed at 7:30 awake the next day at 7ish....glorious! Loved it! Now, he's playing, laughing throwing things in his crib and taking almost an hour to fall asleep and sleeping for if i'm lucky, 45 mins-1 hour for naps, and not falling asleep until 8:15-8:30 and getting up 3-4 times a night! I've heard that when they get more independent they will want to play more then sleep and so I always do a "cool-down" routine and keep the lights dim, all that to get him into "sleepy" mode. We also tried just going to 1 nap, which resulted in a 1 & 1/2 hour snooze and a way cranky Cam the rest of the day. I am hoping this is just a phase that will soon result back into a new routine, but we'll have to see...for right now, I'm just frustrated with the commotion coming from the nursery during what is supposted to be NAPTIME!!! Oh my crazy little one, gotta love you and your energy!

3 comments:

Nicia said...

I think it's just a phase. Alyssa did that recently, and I thought I was doomed!! When it came to naptime I would put her in her crib, and I would hear her just talking away to herself the entire 2 hrs.!!! Oh, it was awful! Alyssa only has one nap though during the day...I don't know if that makes any difference. Just be consistent, and he'll figure it out. (That's what I would do/did at least!) Good luck!

Tim, Crista and Addy said...

I agree with Nicia!!! Adilyn is getting to the end of going through this too! She slept exactly like Cam and then for weeks she's been transitioning to 1 nap and only sleeping 45 min to an hour.....annoying and she is CRANKY! Just this week she began sleeping 2 hours (most days) for the nap and I heard it takes them a while (some kids) to fall into sleeping for a long afternoon nap.

See if you notice if this helps....I had been putting her down around noon instead of 1pm (that was her usual afternoon time so I figured if she drops the morning, I'd stick to 1pm but she could not last that long) but now I've been sticking to 1 and she sleeps til 3. Sometimes she chats for a while but it's pretty consistent. About the waking up....does he just cry out? Addy does that but hasn't for a while, it's weird. Good luck! When are you due? I just read your blog today~

Charis said...

Holly, kids are funny, you think you have the whole parent thing down and then, surprise! The kids start doing different stuff and leave you wondering.."what the heck just happened here?" No worries though, with two steps foward there most definitely is a step or two back. But in the en d it all evens out. Besides he is adorable and loved and cared for! What more could you ask for:)right?